Marwane El Kharbili

Apr 15, 2008

I am an evening man

On this website, I have found an article about the two different kinds of people. There are morning people and evening people. The page introduces these and contains three curves. One curve showing the medium performance curve (for the hypothetic "normal" person), the performance curve for an evening man, and a curve for the morning man. The evening man reaches his peak of productivity at around 22:00 O'Clock! The morning man on the opposite at around 08:00 O'clock. Somehow, this doesn't surprise me at all...

So the website advises the following to the evening man. Important and complicated tasks should be done during afternoon. The peak of productivity being between 14:00 and 18:00 at around 16:00. Routine tasks should be done in the morning, to get started. complex tasks should be always prepared the day before, during the evening. I already came up to the point where I put most of these tips in use, since I had to cope and find ways of optimizing with my unorthodox working methods since high school.

A morning man should be at work pretty early and profit from the time where most colleagues are not yet there to do complicated tasks. I know of some colleagues I had in the numerous companies I worked in (in several countries) who come to work before seven. The only question I have is how do they do with children, do they drop them at school at 06:30? Routine tasks should be done during the afternoon. The morning man has an overall decreasing productivity curve over the whole day. The earlier the better for him. Towards mid-afternoon, it is the end, he'd better go home :D

So I am clearly an evening man. This explains quite a lot of things to me. For example, my strong tendency to stay late at night is shown on the graphic. my only questions is where did they get the figures from? I would be very curious to know the whereabouts of the study. That could help a lot of people.

Marwane El Kharbili.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am a blog fan from the Philippines. I just happen to discover your site. It is interesting. I find it worth visiting.