Marwane El Kharbili

Jan 9, 2009

Finn by Jon Clinch

I bet most of today's generation have at least one common point with generations before them. The stories and adventures of Huckleberry Finn (in the same way as tom sawyer accompanied many hours of my life) have transcended years and the book is one of these master pieces that belong to human genius. Mark Twain seemed as if he could read my mind more than a hundred years before my birth. The anger, hardness, sometimes sweet sadness and invincible spirit of freedom that flows through a child's veins sitting in the garden of his parents' house in morocco, under this beautiful eternal sun and that soooo blue sky or my dear country, are transmitted to him by a man who lived long before in a country far to the west, far far away to a child's mind.

Well, have you ever wondered what is the story behind this dark and mysterious figure of Mr. Finn, Huckleberry's father? The name of this man used to awake deep rage and fear at the same time as I was a child. But I guess I have to thank this character because he certainly helped me get under the skin of Huckleberry and intensely live his adventures as if they were mine. Jon Clinch offers us one door into the soul of this unforgettable character, that is of Finn. Jon Clinch published a book, entitled "Finn" that tells the story of Huckleberry's father, grand-father, uncle, and Finn's mistress. Even the young Huck is depicted as a child in all its complexity, just opening up and facing a full-of-fear and ugly world.

This book transports the one who still have some small piece of Huckleberry Finn in themselves into the intrigues, violent and dangerous life stories taking place near an ever-present and silent Mississippi. The book is already on my book shelf, in my virtual shelfari library.

You can check the website for the book here. You will get much information about Huckleberry, Mark Twain, about the book itself and the author Jon Clich.

Marwane El Kharbili.

No comments: