Marwane El Kharbili

Jul 24, 2008

Some Python IDEs

Following a discussion with some colleagues about python, I decided to write a short article about it. I have the feeling not many Python fans are around, honestly I can't understand it, but again this judgment is highly subjective, since I pretty much like everything about the language, including the syntax and tabs interpretation, all available data structures, the flexible object orientation, dynamic typing, readability, the many libraries to do pretty much anything, the possibility to embed components written in other languages such as C and TKinter. And if you are not convinced, have a look at Zope, Plone and Peak. If you've been using internet in the last 10 years, you can't have missed on these.

One of the main critics of one of my colleagues was that he didn't know of a suitable IDE for developing python programs. that annoyed me somewhat since I know of many, which are even both free and open-source, at least in some versions. My preferate IDE was alway SPE's Python IDS. You can download it here. I have been developing on SPE for 3 years now, although not much in later time because of lack of time. SPE offers you pretty much everything you expect from an IDE, no need to list them all. Just download it, install it and test some scripts and classes. You can even try to quickly write some graphical user interfaces using TKinter or WxWidgets. Here is a website where you can get started although I personally have started using the official page, which documentation I find very well done. And hop, another link to a repository of open source software written in python repository. Python is fun!

Marwane El Kharbili.

No comments: